Break Time!

Hello all. I wanted to let you know that I will not be doing my regular blogging this week due to a family emergency. I didn’t post my Stamptivity challenge or my sketch challenges this weekend because we have been dealing with this since Friday night. **I will pick the winner for the Feb giveaway next week and post my March giveaway & Stamp set of the month reveal. I have a few prescheduled posts that will pop up this week, but not very many.

I have some awful news for you. My dog Taylor (the little yellow one, she is 14 years old) is very sick and may not make it.

She started breathing heavily on Friday night, but she wasn’t even doing anything except laying down. By Saturday morning she was panting and breathing deep down in her stomach and having quick breaths. I called the vet first thing on Sat. morning and we rushed her to the vet. The vet said she had fluid in her lungs and that this was life threatening. She tried to drain some of the fluid off, but Taylor was getting too stressed out so she had to stop. They gave her oxygen and had her rest. The things that could cause the type of fluid they found include heart failure, liver failure, cancer, or kidney failure all of which are very serious and life ending in many cases in which the dog is this old. My vet is only opened on Sat morning so we had to transfer her to an emergency vet in the afternoon.

The other vet said that she thought it was most likely cancer or heart failure. They sedated her and took off more fluid and then Xrayed her. There was still too much fluid to see anything so they repeated the process 4 more times and finally could see something. Her heart didn’t look enlarged which means she might not have heart failure, but there was a shady area that could be cancer. There was too much fluid to tell anything for sure so she will have to have other testing done. The third vet thinks it is most likely heart failure or a twisted lobe of her lung (which is extremely rare).

They have been giving her medicine to try to remove the excess fluid and we are waiting until Monday to transfer her so other tests can be done. We saw her today (Sunday) and she was much better than how she was when we left her. She was sitting up and seemed very alert so I have some hope that it could be the heart. Congenital heart failure can be managed with medication so she could still have a couple good years left if that is what she has. The other possibilities at this point are fatal but we won’t know for sure until tomorrow.

I knew this would come one day, but nothing can prepare you for this type of thing. I have had Taylor since I was 7 years old and since she was barely old enough to leave her mommy. I can’t remember my life without her so this is tearing me up. Please send out your thoughts and prayers for her. If necessary we are going to have to do the humane thing and let her go because I refuse to let her suffer.

And I have a botox update for you as well. I have been migraine free until this weekend aside from one mild migraine shortly after the botox treatment. It turns out that I can still have a full blown migraine attack if a horrible event like this happens. Last night I started getting one in the middle of the night and had all the same symptoms I used to have. And then I got a second one around lunch time. Botox works great for me, but it doesn’t prevent migraines in extremely stressful situations!

So this week, I will be skipping my challenges (both for the weekend that just passed and for the weekend coming up). I will try to blog here and there because it is therapeutic, but I won’t be blogging daily. I still want to tell you about my two new scrapbook loves like I mentioned Friday so I will try to get that done tomorrow. Right now, I have a big test tomorrow and a big project due tomorrow that I must prepare for and of course I didn’t do anything for them this weekend. :O(

Sign up for updates via email & never miss a project!

6 thoughts on “Break Time!

  1. Samantha…I am so sorry! I am thinking of you.

    I am glad that botox is working for you. The dr now wants to admit Ellen for a 3-week, high-intensity pain management program. We are debating. I so hope that when your life calms a bit, you will be back to “near migraine-free status”.

  2. {{{Samantha}}} I am so sorry Taylor is so sick. When a pet becomes seriously ill we can often feel the same stress as if it were a human family member. I will be praying for Taylor and you. Don’t forget to take care of yourself so you can be there for Taylor. Try some of your favorite stress relieving techniques to try to reduce having a migraine.

  3. I’m so very sorry to hear about Taylor. I will keep you all in my thoughts & prayers. Hope your headaches get better.

    Sending hugs & prayers your way…

  4. I’m so sorry you are having to go through this. I hope Taylor has something that the vet can cure or manage.

    I’ll be thinking of you and praying that Taylor gets better and you stop having migraines.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *