Hi everyone! It’s my day over at The Pocket Source Blog & we are kicking of a week long series that is near and dear to my heart – Simplify & Organize!
If you’ve been a follower here, you know one of my biggest crafty struggles is fighting that collecting mentality. When I like a scrappy supply, I want one in every color. If I love a patterned paper, I want 5 sheets of it. I’m sure many of you can relate.
Over the years, I have gotten so much better, but it is something I still struggle with from time to time, especially if I am stressed out. I like to stress shop. Even when I’m not stressed out, it’s so easy for me to get caught up in the buying rather than the crafting!
When we moved this past summer, I did a HUGE scraproom purge! It was a little scary, but I am so glad I did it. It feels great to kind of “start fresh” in my new scrap space. Since the move, I’ve been making a conscious effort to stop collecting and do more crafting! I often ask myself the questions below to keep my on track. I hope you find this post helpful!
TIME TO DESTASH? ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS
To start the week off, I came up with some questions to help you work on letting go of some of your crafty items. Now, let’s be honest. There is a VERY FINE line between having a healthy crafty stash and plain ole hoarding! Many of us walk that very fine line all the time. lol! It is so fun to collect pretty crafty supplies. The problem is all those beautiful supplies can quickly become overwhelming – actually stifling you creativity!
For me, I know it is time to work on de-stashing (AKA purging craft supplies to donate, give away, sell, or trade) when I start to feel that overwhelm. Also, when there are just too many items in my scrap space that I have piles of supplies sitting around because I have no where to put all my supplies.
Scrap supplies are meant to be used, not collected. Let’s all take an honest look at our scrap supplies & simplify!
I’ve come up with a short list of questions to ask yourself while working on de-stashing:
- Have I used this item?If you’ve had an item for a while & not even touched it, then it might be time to get rid of it!
- Have I had this item for longer than a year? 5 years? 10 years?Craft items are kind of like fashion items. They get majorly outdated over time. If it has been sitting in your space for a long time & it hasn’t been used, get rid of it!
- Does this item fit in with my crafty style?Items can be pretty, but still not fit in with our crafting style. In that case, get rid of it!
- Do I have a specific plan for using this item in the next month? 3 months? year?If you have a specific plan for an item for a project in the near future, then hold on to that item. If you are holding onto something “just in case”, then get rid of it!
- If I got rid of this item & changed my mind later, could I purchase it again later?Chances are most items in your scrap stash can easily be replaced with the exact same brand item, or an item that is very similar. If an item can be easily replaced later if you change your mind, & you haven’t been using it, get rid of it! I’d guess that 99% of the time, you will forget about the things you purge.If a crafty supply is not easily replaced, then make sure you have a specific plan to use it & then use it!
Hopefully these questions can keep you objective while you go through your crafty stash. Remember, less can truly be more when it comes to scrap supplies! The less clutter you have, the more creative you can feel.
Feel free to add to our list! Leave your best de-stash questions below.